Monday, April 26, 2010

Kinds of Fans (no, not those things that blow air into your face)

There are two kinds of fans in this world--those who have the money to actively support their obsession, and those that don't have the money to buy all the STUFF but like it anyway.

Ex: a TV show (like Star Trek or something)

FAN Type #1: They buy all of the associated stuff that has anything remotely to do with Star Trek--DVDs,  costumes, action figures, full-size models of the Enterprise (okay, not possible--but you get my meaning), etc. etc. etc. They really love everything about the series and buy the stuff to show that they really LIKE THE SERIES.

FAN Type #2: They also REALLY LOVE THE SERIES AND WATCH IT ON YOUTUBE OR WHATEVER whenever they can, and read everything they can about it, but don't have the means to buy all the STUFF. You getting what I'm saying? They would very much so like the stuff, but they can't buy it, which makes them feel like they're inferior fans or something.

Now, I know that you don't have to buy things to show that you really like something, but sometimes, when other type 1 fans say, "I've got all the action figures! And five versions of Spock!", type 2 fans can't help but feel a little jealous, or even annoyed. I mean, they UBER-LIKE that stuff too, but maybe they aren't allowed to get it (a possible obstacle is the parental unit--they mean well, but unless you have a job, you ain't got no resources for your hobbies. unless, of course, you convince them to buy it for you. in which case...well, you're lucky).

So why am I going on and on about this? Because I've had a similar situation happen to me in real life (with something similar to Star Trek....sort of). And I must realize that we are all different, and all spend our money differently. Not having fan-stuff doesn't not make you a fan! If that made any sense at all.

But, it would help if people were better at looking at the heart, instead of just appearances.

2 comments:

N3WYORKD3VIL said...

I would be obsessed like that with Cammy if they HAD things like that. But they don't and that is why a large portion of my life is unhappiness..or something like that..

Jinnyd said...

I know! But still...owning the entire series would be a VERY NICE compensation for the lack of cool affiliated stuffs...hintidy hint hint, INTERNET. ahem. Yeah.