Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I won't apologize for who I am....

Since I've been sort-of obsessed with clothes and "fashion" for the past few, oh, I dunno....months? weeks? fortnights? I've decided to talk about SCHOOL and FASHION.
Oh my, will those two words ever go together? Especially since most of the girls at my school wear Abercrombie, Aeropastle ("air mail" in French!), American Eagle, Hollister, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Oh, and I forgot to mention: Uggs or very clever look-alikes. (I swear I saw five-thousand zillion pairs of them every day during the winter. Those and this type of clogs.)
Even one of my best friends has started to wear Aero and these Ugg-ish boots. 
GGAAAAAHHHHHHH. When will high schoolers ever decide to stop conforming and dress the way they like to dress? Now, I'm pretty sure that some people actually like the clothes from A and F, Aero, and AE, but others just wear it because everyone else is wearing it. 
I think that in all human beings, there's a need to feel like you belong somewhere, with a group of people (no matter what group it is). So, by dressing and looking like everyone else, you'll be able to belong to the huge collective group of "everyone else"? I don't think so.

Compromising yourself to fit into a group that you don't like that much is not very effective. You don't feel like yourself, and the other people probably just think that you're just another one of the Abercrombie-wearing group, and thus don't really get to know you.

But, not all of the people at my school are Aero-followers (and just because you wear that stuff doesn't neccessarily mean that you are an Aberzombie [credit to Style Rookie for that term!]) There are a few girls who actually wear things that are different from the mainstream--they create outfits that are whimsical, unique, and expressions of themselves. They don't worry about trying to fit in, because they know who they are and are not afraid to tell the rest of the world.

No comments: