Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Swan Lake

A great deal of ballet is hard work. And grace. And some natural ability also helps, too. But if you really love the art, and want to dance, then by all means dance. With your heart, your soul, and your mind.

I shall forever rue the day when I was a tiny second grader, griping about how ballet was too "slow" and"boring" (because, looking back now, it is most definitely not). But, I believe that every happens for a reason. Just because I'm not dancing ballet anymore doesn't mean that I can't enjoy it! Thank goodness for Anaheim Ballet.  Huzzah for ballet dancing! And most dancing in general!  And Chinese traditional dance (which is what I am fortunate enough to do)! But on to what I think was supposed to be the main part of this post.

The music of the Swan Lake ballet is so haunting, and mystifying, and just magical in general. It perfectly captures the hopeless feeling of the story, and the despair and grief that results in its climax. Because, like any good classic story, a character MUST die.

I think my sentiments can be fully described in the first part of this video (even though I can't understand a word the guy is saying, except maybe for a few cognates "prima ballerina" and such).

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

That is absolutely amazing... ballet is definitely a tough sport. The other day my mom and I were watching this Nutcracker ballet competition show (I didn't get it at first, but I think that they were showing several different performances of the Nutcracker and you vote for the best...? maybe?) and were amazed by the strength of the performers. I watched both vids, and wow... ballet definitely deserves more respect than it has(at least among the ignorant)! The endurance, skill, and artistry combine for such beauty. I wish so much that I could take ballet lessons... maybe someday ;).